Tuesday, October 16, 2012

30 Days On My Small Farm-Day 18 (Fall CSA Week 2)

Well, there will be no pictures of today's baskets.
My camera has officially bit the dust and I'm waiting for delivery of the new one.
Ah, my high tech life!

So I'll just pop in pictures you maybe haven't seen!

Chickens get the not so great greens from CSA days


Realistically  I am about as low tech as a person can be these days.
I have a cell phone, but it is never on. I had it for a few months before I figured out how to answer it.
Texting? Not my specialty.
Amazing really that I'm able to write a blog.

My low tech abilities fit very well with my career of choice. I sometimes feel like I was born in the wrong era. My work is very labour intensive with my hands dirty and my back always bending to pull weeds, plant or harvest.

Today my hands were cold when I rinsed off the veggies for the CSA baskets outside.  I don't do well in the cold, particularly my fingers and toes and I've always found harvesting and cleaning veggies tough at this time of year and into the winter.  I had to go in the house to soak my hands in warm water before I could finish up!
And THIS is just the beginning!  It's not actually even cold yet.

Baskets today contained beets, carrots, french breakfast radishes, lettuce, braising greens, leaf celery, sweet and hot peppers, and a tomato or two. This is most definitely the end of the tomatoes for 2012, as last Friday night's frost was a killer.  That's okay too, because they just don't taste nearly as good once the cold nights hit.

Adios for another year my friends!

The following recipe is one of my favourite ways to serve carrots...and tofu. It is so simple and yummy it has become a staple in my house.
This recipe is from The Vegetarian Times cookbook.
Enjoy!


Recipe Ingredients for Carrot and Tofu Scramble

2tbsp vegetable oil
1lbs carrots, grated
1lbs extra firm tofu, drained and crumbled
1/3cup soy sauce
1/3cup sesame seeds
1tsp teriyaki sauce

Recipe Directions for Carrot and Tofu Scramble

  1. In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and cook the carrots, stirring, for 15 minutes.
  2. Add the tofu and cook, stirring, until the carrots are soft, about 5 minutes more.
  3. Add the soy sauce and sesame seeds. Cook 1 minute more.
  4. Stir in the teriyaki sauce.
  5. Serve hot.






No comments: