- Ha, ha.
- Madame Weather has done it again. Last week we sweltered in the unusual heat, last night it froze.
- I mean really froze.
- Surprisingly, there was even frost damage to some tender young growth in the hoop houses.
- What can you do?
It changes a few things for sure, but on we go.
In the CSA baskets today, again find a good dose of mustard greens in many forms.
Want to know a bit more about them? I wrote a post a while back if you'd like some background info...read here
- Green Wave mustard, Giant Red mustard, purple mizuna, mispoona, sylvetta arugula, garlic greens,green onions, chard,sorrel,thyme, and a nip of catnip (for cat or tea) rounds out the baskets.
- I was happy to find this soup recipe, which I've adapted somewhat to fit the contents of your basket. It's yummy.
- And it's soup weather again!
- Chard, Mustard Green and Potato Soup
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cups onions, greens and all
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup garlic greens
- 1 bunch mustard greens (about 12 ounces), stems trimmed, leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch chard
- Sour cream
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender and golden, about 8 minutes. Add potatoes; sauté 3 minutes. Add 8 cups water and crushed red pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in another heavy large pot over medium heat. Add garlic greens; sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add mustard greens and chard leaves; sauté until wilted, about 3 minutes.
Add sautéed greens to potato mixture. Working in batches, purée soup in blender until smooth. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool. Cover and refrigerate.) Return soup to pot. Bring to simmer, thinning with more water, if desired. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
Cut remaining 1 cup spinach leaves into 1/3-inch-wide slices. Ladle soup into bowls. Add dollop of sour cream to each bowl
Adapted by me! from- http://www.epicurious.com:80/recipes/food/views/Spinach-Mustard-Green-and-Potato-Soup-5883#ixzz1qLei75Tw
|Darwin navigates to the big city drop off.|