Friday, August 27, 2010

The Power of Seed

The pretty and very happy looking little flower in the picture is one that I will never look at again in the same way after this week.

It has taken on new meaning for me, as I hope it does for many people who may plant its' seeds next spring.

It will make them think of someone. Hopefully bring back memories, many of which will be good. It may make them smile.

Let me tell you about this week.

I received a phone call on Wednesday evening from a woman I didn't know at all. She gave me her name and then explained to me that her nephew had leukemia and was not expected to live more than a few days longer.

She had found my website. Quite honestly, I'm not sure what directed her to me. I really am more the vegetable type. But she did call and she was looking for marigold seeds, her nephews' favourite flower.

They wanted to give a packet of seeds out to the guests at his funeral, which they were in the process of planning. He was only 19 years old. Could I help her?

I only really grow one variety of marigold consistently, and I have grown it for more than 10 years. I got the original seed from Seeds of Change in New Mexico, and I save seed from it faithfully every year and offer it in the seed exchanges. I just like it. It is simple, colourful and it makes me happy to see it every year. It's name is Pinwheel, or it is also known as Jolly Jester.

I explained this to the caller and that as much as I would like to help her out, I wasn't sure I would have enough seed at this point in the season, as it was early to collect seed.
She gave me her email address and I promised to email her after I walked outside to check the flowers for seed.

The seed was expedited to her this morning.

400 packets of seed. The garden provided what we needed, and I am grateful for that.

Seed is to be shared, and I am so glad I could do that.

This happy little flower when it blooms next summer will make family think of their son, their nephew and maybe their grandson. It will make others think of a friend, a university mate or maybe even a co- worker. Flowers are good for that. They make us slow down and look at them. Appreciate their uniqueness and simple beauty.

Maybe some people will save the seed and pass it on. And for those recipients too, it might develop meaning and provide beauty.

I feel so terribly honoured that I could do this very small little thing. Such a difficult time.

Strangers connected through seed.
















6 comments:

Salix said...

What a beautiful story! Made my eyes water.
Lene

Kris Mo said...

That's such a strong and sad story. But it's a reminder for all of us that the connections we make here in our time last much longer than our lives. Through leaving a legacy; be it seed, memory, inspiration... we can live on in the hearts and minds of those who have loved us.

Thanks for posting this, Linda, and my most heartfelt condolences to this family.

That Bloomin' Garden said...

Growing a plant to remember someone is such a good idea. I took seeds from flowers that my Dad loved before he passed and grow them in my garden.
I loved your story and that you could help the family in this way. Gardeners have huge hearts.

Linda said...

Thanks for your comments. I have been so crazy busy harvesting vegetables this week. The phone call Wednesday slowed me down completely and made me stop and think about the things that are really important in life. I really looked at that little flower and thought about what it would mean to this young man's family. I thought about the unbelievable sorrow of losing a son. Unimaginable. I thought of my own mom and her battle with cancer. The daily struggles people have . And above it all our connections to each other.

Unknown said...

Wow, this a wonderful yet very sad story.

inhabiting_trees said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful powerful story.

Take that terminator seeds! *karate chop*