Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Week 7 CSA (or 8) and Life on the Farm

I cried yesterday when it rained. Not tears of anger, frustration or sorrow, but tears of joy.
Sometimes when you are stressed in your life, you don't realize how much until the tide turns.
And yes, the dry weather, drought-like conditions were stressing me out.


In the 21 years of growing on this property, I don't think I have ever experienced such dry conditions, and my watering system has always been more than adequate.  I worried my super deep well would run dry. And then what?

This year I watered initially to help things thrive, but as the drought continued it was just to keep everything alive. 7 days a week, watering constantly and knowing that it would never and could never do what a good rainfall could do.


I am so grateful we received that beautiful rainfall yesterday. It has done so much good, but won't be early enough for some things that were really struggling and stunted.
I am not complaining at all. It is a wonderful reprieve and I am thankful for your rain dances and prayers. It all worked.

The baskets were quite full today. Several heads of garlic, onions, basils, lettuce mix, brassica microgreens, tomatoes, beets, beans, sweet peppers, New Zealand or malabar spinach and zucchini or cukes. Maybe more?

The beans, tomatoes and peppers will keep on coming. The shares will contains lots of beautiful tomatoes this year, and if you get too many, consider freezing them as is. Wash and dry them, pop them in freezer bags and pull them out in the middle of winter to use in sauces, soups or stews. Especially amazing in the winter are frozen cherry tomatoes, which I just pop in a pan with the garlic, onions, some peppers which I freeze the same way-and presto- the most incredible pasta sauce ever.

The following recipe for roasted beans in one I have posted for years when the beans start coming on strong. I hope you like it.

Roasted  Beans

Beans, topped and tailed.
Olive oil
Sea or kosher salt

Heat oven to 450 F.
Lightly grease a baking sheet with oil and lay beans in a single layer on it.
Drizzle them with oil until they are evenly coated.
Cook for about 15 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally to ensure even cooking.
When roasted, remove from oven and sprinkle with salt.

4 comments:

Niagara Gourmet said...

I was hoping you received he same rain we did in St. Catharines! Of course I spent all day Sunday watering...oh well!

Niagara Gourmet said...

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/mangalorean-malabar-spinach-curry-recipe/
I am going to try this!

mominthegarden said...

I was thinking of you and your beautiful gardens and knew that this rain was making many gardeners all over very, very grateful and happy! I was so glad for the rain too! watering 24/7 and worrying about the survival of your plants does make one stress....and for the Niagara Gourmet who watered all day, good for you because you know, had you not watered it would not have rained! :)

Linda said...

I'm so glad we all got it! And yes, thanks for watering and encouraging the rain David, that's what I was doing too. Also-the recipe looks great.