Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Homemade Crackers







Well, here it is.


I've finally made crackers that I like and that seem pretty easy and fuss-free.


I decided that this was something I needed to do after my friends Melanie and Jesse over at  Crackersblog, told me when I queried, that in fact they hadn't made crackers yet.  From the sound of their blog, they've been darn busy gardening and preserving.


I've tried a good few cracker recipes over the ensuing months.


The first was yeasted and the bloody things were delish in the spots where I rolled them thin enough, but even my beagle Darwin with his jaws capable of bone crushing force had a tough time with the thicker ones.  But, darn it...we ate them.


A few more kinds I made were un-yeasted and they were okay, but just didn't completely do it for me.




After fiddling around with a pretty simple recipe, I came up with the one that follows.


It was a good use for the "Sweet Corn Flour" that I found in a very interesting East Indian grocery store. The flour, from Manitoba, had me baffled. I bought it because I thought I'd like it because I absolutely adore cornmeal everything, but I've never actually found any recipes that call specifically for it. No mind. I put it in my breads and now crackers, and it is a welcome addition.


Homemade Crackers


3 3/4 cups flour (mine was 2 cups whole wheat, 1 3/4 cup sweet corn)
3/4 tsp sea salt
6 Tbsp olive oil
12 Tbsp water
crushed dried rosemary to taste (I think you could also add other seasonings-like caraway seeds, sesame seeds, or wherever your cravings take you.)


Preheat oven to 400 F
Mix together the flours, sea salt, rosemary and water. I just used clean hands, and got right into it. Add water and mix again to form a nice dough. Mine wasn't too sticky, but held together well.


Sprinkle flour on a Silpat or parchment paper. Divide the dough into thirds or half to work with.
Roll out thin...aim for 1/8" thickness.




Transfer to ungreased baking sheet, then cut into squares, but don't slice right through.
If desired sprinkle a bit more salt on the top. 


Bake for 10-15 minutes..just until they are starting to brown.
Pull out the the oven and cool on a rack. Break apart and enjoy!


(ps- they taste super-good with some of the chick peas (made into hummus) I bought at the same East Indian grocery store. That 10 lb bag has served me well!)









5 comments:

Izabell Fagan said...

sound perfect accompaniment to the recipe on the other blog I follow...I'm going to try these!

Linda said...

I hope you like them! What's the other recipe you're going to make to go with them?

Unknown said...

ooohhhh.... I have got to try these!! Thanks for the recipe!!

Unknown said...

well I tried them... they sure weren't as pretty as yours though! if you'd like to see how they turned out you can check out my blog at http://sam-critter.blogspot.com/2011/12/going-crackers.html If at first you don't succeed try try again though!! They're pretty good with cream cheese

cheaptera said...

Don’t wait to start the project, or task because when the time comes to attempt it excuses are brought uppon and nothing will get finished, procrastination feels good at the moment but will allways bring dissapointment…..

My Facebook page here,like it please