Saturday, October 13, 2012

Guest Post-Jo's Roasted Veggies




I have never eaten turnips before.

There, I admitted it.

In fact, I'm not even sure that what I roasted up the other night *was* a turnip.  I'm going to presume it was, as I googled it, and it looks kind of similar.  But as the fall season root vegetables now populate my weekly basket, I've got a lot more learning to do.  It reminds me of the first couple of weeks with my summer basket when I was introduced to purslane, arugula, sorrel, chard.  And I feel uncomfortably like those poor urban junk-food-nation kids on that Jamie Oliver show a few years ago -- the ones that couldn't recognize a carrot when he held it up.

I'm not much better, it would appear.

My mom was over on Thursday night and we were going through the basket to get my sister's half ready for her.  She's been out of commission recently -- her boyfriend of 15 years has been hospitalized for the last six weeks and it doesn't look good.  She hasn't had time to cook or eat or even focus on anything else.  Mom and I decided to roast up anything that could be roasted and give her the cooked vegetables instead.  I had no idea even how to do it, but my friend Christine and I had done the beets this summer, so I assumed drizzling oil and adding some rosemary couldn't hurt.

We cut up turnips, beets, carrots, and the squash.  (I googled that, too.  It's called 'acorn squash'.)  We added a ton of store-bought potatoes, because really, who doesn't love roasted potatoes?

My mom was particularly excited about the squash.  I'd only ever had butternut squash before, and it made me sick that time (blasted stomach condition!!) so I was scared.  Mom said put lots of butter on it, so I did.  And I took my preventative meds, and chowed down on everything once it came out of the oven piping hot.

And WOW that squash was delicious!!!!  The jury is still out on the turnips, but my friend gave me a recipe that includes vinegar (I'll attach it below), so I'll try that next time.  I have not given up on turnips yet, I just need a bit more goading.  And experience.  And tasty recipes. :)

***

Turnip recipe from Theresa

Cut the turnips into about one inch chunks. Season with olive oil, salt and pepper and a bit of vinegar (tbsp or so depending on how much turnip you have and whatever your taste)- Rice vinegar, white wine, red wine, balsamic - whatever you have. Roast at 400 until golden brown. They turn so sweet and savoury. The vinegar makes the difference. 

They're always a hit at my house and I never have leftovers.

-- 
_____________________________

No comments: