Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Fall/Winter CSA Week 4 and Carrot Soup!

It has been a wild weather week.
As a country dweller, I likely have a few different concerns on a blustery night that saw Hurricane Sandy's remnants enter our area.
Will the hydro go out? If it does my sump pump in the basement won't work and I'll be bailing water all night.
Are all my hoop houses going to have plastic on them come morning?
Are my boats going to float away with the rising Welland River?
I was relieved to get up this morning after a restless sleep to find that most things were just fine. Not sure about the boats though..but I think the oars are gone!

Last Thursday I wore my shorts out in the garden while harvesting. All has changed now though and the last few days it has been full gear. Rain suit, coveralls underneath, rubber boots and whatever I can figure out for my hands to keep them warm and dry.
When I heard all about all the rain that was coming, my thoughts turned to carrots. I mean, didn't yours?
My carrots did really well this year with my super-duper special technique of planting carrots in clay.
But with sitting in a low spot and all, the huge amount of rainfall would mean they would be sitting in water.
That would only result in one thing....rotten carrots.


The last few days has been digging carrots in lousy conditions. Boot-grabbing mud, wind whipping, heavy rain and chilly conditions. These carrots were fought for and the battle won. The carrots are in and safe.
Good too.



Today's baskets had a good few roots in them.
The carrots of course, plus bright red turnips and oriental radishes that were either white or purple.
The turnips can be eaten either  raw or cooked, as can the radishes. If you can't get to the radishes right away, don't worry. They last a long, long time.

 
There were also beets and somebody got the VERY large ones pictured above. Wow.
There are still peppers too which were included as well as chard, rosemary, thyme, leaf celery, parsley, broccoli or cabbage.



After working out in this weather my mind turns to soup. And with carrots being so bountiful, carrot soup is a great place to start. I usually just add what I like, using the following recipe as a bit of a guide.
Last night I sauteed onions and hot peppers before adding the carrots and water. I left out the curry and it was yummy.
Enjoy!
(This recipe is from www.glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com)

Carrot Soup

Ingredients:

2 lbs. carrots, trimmed, peeled, chopped

Cold fresh water

Sea salt, to taste

A pinch of curry powder, to taste*

1/2 cup organic apple juice (or if you like it creamy, add your favorite creamy beverage, such as light coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk)
Instructions:

Toss the chopped carrots into a soup pot and add just enough cold water to cover them. Season with sea salt and a dash or two of curry or cumin, to your liking.
Cover and bring to a boil; lower the heat and simmer until the carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes. Add a bit more spring water, if needed.

Puree the soup with an immersion blender until the carrots are blended and the soup is silky smooth. Add the apple juice or creamy beverage and stir well; gently heat it through.


No comments: