Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Vegetable Curry and Life on the Farm


The nights have been pretty cool lately and this morning, a first for the season, the duck's water had a bit of ice on it.
Tomorrow we'll take the pump off the pond before it freezes up and any watering that needs to be done in the hoophouses will be done with a watering can.
There's still so much in the garden, which I'm thankful for. The hoophouse crops are growing so slowly and I had to replant the arugula after some apparently poor seed wouldn't germinate. So it is the outdoor garden that keeps us going.
Up until yesterday, some plants were continuing to produce. Hot peppers, tomatillos, cape goose berries still figured it was summer, but today it was all over.
Alas, it's true. The cold weather has arrived and I've had to start the woodstove in earnest now, not briefly to take the chill off, but early in the afternoon before the sun goes down and the cool weather arrives. The hoophouse peppers, eggplants and tomatoes are still surviving with a layer of agricultural fabric. But they won't last too long now.


Joey prefers his meals in his home and has given up sun bathing, and my 3 dogs step lively when we walk in the morning. The chickens and ducks are still happy to scratch and slurp mud respectively but the cats stay indoors and catch a sun ray beaming through the windows.

Ellie

Bandit


Darwin 
The baskets were pretty heavy today, with the root crops dominating-peppers too!
It is kind of nice when I deliver the baskets now as the greens stand up, perky with the coolness...instead of the sad and wilted from the heat.
Here is the basket laid out:


Sorrel, kale, rosemary, celeriac, peppers, carrots, hot peppers, rosemary, jerusalem artichokes, onions, tomatillos, cape gooseberries 


I wanted to include the tomatillos so everyone could try Suzanne's recipe on the last blog post...check it out here

As for me, I'm in a curry mood. Warms the tummy and soul.

Vegetable Curry

2 Tbsp olive oil
medium onion, (or the onions in your basket)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 Tbsp grated ginger
3 cups chopped assorted veggies
3 tsp curry paste
1 14 oz can coconut milk
handful kale
salt to taste

Saute onion in olive oil for several minutes over medium heat, then add chopped garlic and saute for 1 more minute.
Add ginger,veggies, kale, then curry paste and coconut milk and cook until the veggies are tender and the liquid has reduced.
Easy...I add tofu at the beginning as well and it's a complete meal.

Scary Mollie-have a fun Hallowe'en!


2 comments:

bluelacedredhead said...

Love Curry but my spouse can't stand it. I think I need to go out for lunch without him some day soon ;)

Your pics are amazing as always!

Happy Birthday tomorrow and have a Happy Halloween!

Linda said...

I'm just realizing how much I like curry now-I hope I don't overdo it!
Thanks for the good wishes, I appreciate it!