Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Fall/Winter CSA Week 7 and Arugula-Walnut Pesto


The chickens have been out for the last few weeks enjoying the weather and doing what chickens do; scratching, bathing in the dust, eating bugs and well....eating my sorrel.
They do have a good large area to enjoy outside for most of the year, but now with most of the garden finished, they are truly free range.
My chickens have pretty much entered their retirement years. Now they just have fun, live their lives and amuse us with their very essence of chicken-ness.
It's hard to imagine not having them here on my small farm. I love to watch them, hear their chatterings and try to figure out what they are saying to each other.
Despite what some people think, chickens to me seem pretty darn smart.
I love my chickens. I really do.


Baskets today had a tendency of being pretty green. Arugula, mustard greens, choi,  mini cabbage, savoury mint, lime thyme, chard, as well as onions, garlic, walnuts and lo and behold- Jerusalem artichokes.

The artichokes may be a surprise in your basket. Funny thing is, they were kind of a surprise to me too. They are one of those crops that are always there and honestly I just sort of forgot about them this year.
Hope you enjoy them.



The arugula will just keep on coming, as will the mustard greens. Both can be made into a pesto, but I added the my walnuts today because of the recipe for arugula walnut pesto. Thiscan be made into a vegan pesto by adding a bit of nutritional yeast instead of the cheese.
Enjoy!

ARUGULA WALNUT PESTO


  • 5 ounces arugula, 
  • 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese (Parmigiano-Reggiano is best)
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled
  • 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste and for pasta water
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup walnut oil (can optionally be replaced by olive oil)
  • 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • fresh-ground black pepper
Combine arugula, walnuts, cheese, garlic, and lemon juice in a food processor.  Process for a few seconds until coarsely ground.  With the food processor running, slowly drizzle in the oil until the mixture is almost smooth, with just a little texture.  Add more salt to taste.
Toss with your favourite pasta!

6 comments:

CallieK said...

I didn't know you grew walnuts! The only english walnut tree I've ever seen growing is on Henry of Pelham Estates (the winery) which is probably not far from you so I know they do grow in Niagara region, but you can never find local walnuts in stores here.

Linda said...

I was so lucky when I moved to this property...two trees were already growing here. They produce a surprising number of nuts, and are really carefree. I love them..

Jo said...

Just giggled at the wiki article for Jerusalem Artichoke: "The inulin cannot be broken down by the human digestive system,[7] which can cause flatulence and, in some cases, gastric pain. Gerard's Herbal, printed in 1621, quotes the English planter John Goodyer on Jerusalem artichokes:

"which way soever they be dressed and eaten, they stir and cause a filthy loathsome stinking wind within the body, thereby causing the belly to be pained and tormented, and are a meat more fit for swine than men."[8]"

I still like them!!

Linda said...

Ha-good one Jo. And so you know too, not fit for MY swine. Joey won't eat them.

Emma said...

You're absolutely right! I love my chickens too!

PRIZE BOND LUCKY said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.