Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Eggplants, 2016


Eggplants. 

People either seem to love them or they don't. There is no middle ground. Admittedly, they are a bit like tofu and seem to take on the taste of what you cook them with. But the texture they can add to a dish is pretty great.

I always start way too many eggplants for my seedling sale. It is one thing I always have an abundance of, so I have cut down on the number of varieties I will be selling this year. If you like eggplant, I think it is still a pretty good selection. Some are indeed exceptional.

One on the list, Nipple Fruit, is a non-edible curiosity. It does look like a nipple and turns bright yellow later in the season. It is just a fun thing to behold, and looks pretty great and colourful in an ornamental garden. So why not?

My sale begins May 21, and people always get here early to get their first choice. I remain open for seedling sales well into June. I bet there will still be lots of eggplants!

Here is the selection you can choose from:

Ping Tung Long
Casper
Finger Fruit White
Kamo
Du Burkina Faso
Thai White Ribbed
Aswad
Ma Zu Purple Chinese
Kermit
Bianca Sfumata
Tsakonika
Rosa Bianca
Nipple Fruit
Prosperosa
Thai Round Purple
Cambodian Green Giant
Syrian Stuffing
Green Beauty Long
Linda
Slim Jim

Black Beauty

No comments: