Monday, April 2, 2012

CSA Week 4-Salad Days are Here!



It's nice to be able to put lettuces in the baskets this week. It's a sure sign that spring is here.

The winter crops are definitely fading..you can tell which they are because of the heat that the greens pack. The mustards are ultra-zesty.

The baskets today have the first lettuces of the season. There are also some nice things you can chop up and add to your salad should you wish; mizuna, mispoona, chards, spinach or the red mustard.
The green garlic I wouldn't attempt to add. It's zingy too.
As I drove into town with the baskets, my car smelled like the garlic-mobile. Always good.

 You could stick with the "mom" salad which my girls also call "bowl o' lettuce." I always figure if lettuce is good, it doesn't need a whole lot else.

And the lettuce right now is pretty tender. I can tell this in two ways-it's softness when I cut it, and of course, like you, when I eat it!

I like a simple vinaigrette on my salad. I don't care how delightful Kraft makes their "new and improved" bottles look, it doesn't change what's really in those dressings.  Lots of it just ain't pretty or pronounceable.

Simple Herb Vinaigrette

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp good wine vinegar
herbs such as chopped basil, parsley, rosemary or thyme (whatever you like!)
salt and pepper to taste.

Sometimes I'll add chopped onion or garlic, or use balsamic vinegar. The balsamic makes it's way in when Mollie isn't home!

There will be baskets for the next bunch of weeks, maybe straight through to the end of week 15 for the spring session.

I replanted radishes today, the initial planting flew up during the March-mild spell, but the growth was too tender, and didn't care for the super chilly night we had. So interesting really, because some beans have sprouted and survived in the small very cool hoophouse, beans being a very tender crop.




This season is a bit of a mystery. But bring it on!




No comments: