Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Need Heirloom Tomato Seedlings? Tomato Days 2016, May 21 and on!



For the past three months I have been busy seeding tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and all kinds of wonderful things. And in just over 1 week I begin selling some pretty great seedlings. Next Saturday, May 21st at 8 am I begin selling, and I will continue on all weekend and for at least the next month thereafter.

My organically grown plants are super green and healthy, stocky and strong as they should be. When you receive them they are hardened off and ready to go in your garden, weather permitting.  They are in 3 1/2 pots and most of the plants are 6-8 inches tall (now) depending on the variety.

This year there are more than 500 varieties of tomatoes to choose from....and how do you choose? It is so tough that I struggle with that one myself. There are so many very, very good ones.  I have reds, oranges, yellows, whites, greens, blacks, browns, blues, pinks and purples. There are striped and fuzzy, very large, teeny tiny, early and late. There are excellent paste and canning types in every colour. Do you want that old fashioned taste? Yes, I have that. Something with less of an acid kick? I have that too.

I have grown all of them and many more over the years. Want to talk tomatoes? I am always happy to do that!

When you arrive please pick up a listing with variety descriptions. The descriptions are brief and to the point, and if you need more details, I can help you.

I have many varieties that are so rare they are not available commercially. Some gleaned from years of involvement in seed exchanges or from personal encounters with seed developers are very special to me. They are heirloom treasures indeed.

As I do grow so many varieties and am a small grower, all varieties are limited quantity. So if you are coming out for the first time, expect that Saturday morning there will be a crowd. Many people know exactly what they are looking for and come early to find it.  It is a bit of mayhem. But fun tomato mayhem.

If you just want something great, there are lots of those, thousands in fact. I never run sell out of tomatoes....there are oodles.  I hope you will leave with something that makes your summer sandwiches and salads delightful indeed. Your sauces sing...you get it.

In addition to tomatoes, I have much much more. I have a huge selection of hot peppers this year, sweet peppers too. There are eggplants, melons, zucchini and cucumbers, mouse melons, broccoli, lettuce,kales, cauliflower, ground cherries, cape gooseberries, tomatillos, basils and a small selection of flowers. And more.

I will also be selling my seed. I have lots of veggies that are best direct seeded, including radishes, peas, carrots, beets, beans, cuke seed and again, lots more. Even a farm original bean.

I'm always so happy to see return customers and hear about your experiences with the tomatoes. But if you are a new gardener, I can guide you in making good selections and help out with growing advice.

I am delighted as well that there will be other vendors joining in on the Saturday opening day. Again there will be some large potted perennials for sale, coffee and snacks, soaps, alpaca products and possibly a bit more.

I look forward to welcoming you to Wainfleet. ( GPS address: 74038 Creek Rd Wainfleet) I am situated just outside the village of Wellandport. You may park at the third  grassy laneway on the left after the two paved driveways into the church parking lot, courtesy of Riverside Church. Watch for the signs.

Sales are cash or cheque only, I am sorry but I remain low tech here.


See you then!




2 comments:

Angel said...

Hi, I am planning on coming out early on Saturday from Brampton. It will be my first visit and am very excited to pick some unusual varieties. Can't wait!

Linda said...

I'll be happy to see you Angel and help you make your selections.