Tuesday, August 5, 2014

CSA Week 6 and Planting for the Fall

I got my garlic out this week, a crop that wasn't as big as I would have liked because of the wet planting conditions last fall. It leaves me a spot to consider in my garden.

Our resident toad, "Toadie"

People have been asking lately about what they can still plant now and grow successfully.
Some crops are a sure thing, while some are only possible if we have a great fall season and late frost.
Really though. Why not try? Seeds are inexpensive and some things may not grow to full size, but still are edible when small.
I plant lettuce every week, and without question will continue to do this into September.


Arugula, spinach, chard and various other greens like mustards are a safe bet. Beets I would still risk and baby carrots would likely come along. Radishes including the larger ones like Watermelon would be great now as well as turnips, kohlrabi.


I'll wait at least a month now before I think about planting in the hoophouses for the winter. Winter!
It's hard to start thinking about that now, but it is getting close to the time to think about it. Clean the chimney, get the wood, plant the hoophouses. Oh dear.
I've copied a useful chart  from Seed Saver's Exchange at the bottom of this post, that will help you figure out the likelihood of succeeding with different crops.


Baskets today were still firmly rooted in summer. Tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, cukes, beans, onions, garlic, Italian parsley, curly celery, African Blue basil, golden purslane and perhaps something else I can't think of.
Thanks to Terra for  passing along the recipe for Rad Rainbow Raw Pad Thai from "Oh She Glows" blog. If you wait a week or two to make it you will have fresh edamame in your baskets to use in the recipe.



No comments: