Wednesday, July 2, 2014

CSA Week 1 and Garlic Scape Basil Pesto

Finally.
The first CSA baskets of 2014 have gone out.
The cool and wet spring have put me behind by possibly a month or so, but the garden is looking good and it is large.



I didn't anticipate it or perhaps even really plan it. I had in my head that I had wanted to scale down the garden this year and I had decided to just have a smaller CSA group.

But then I pulled out the seeds. I have a huge, huge quantity of seeds, pretty much a seed bank.
And I looked at them. And then of course there were certain things I couldn't do without for a year, so a whole lot went in, and kept going in.

I was a bit sad because the late start means I couldn't get in some of the grains like teff, quinoa and my naked oats. So next year for those.

I had some beautiful Bronze Arrow lettuces, probably 100 heads that were ready last week, but other things were not. When I tasted it I was disappointed, it had started to turn bitter, but I knew it was just by appearance. Joey, my family's porcine member happily gobbled it up, believing I bet that he had hit the jackpot. My chickens have become way too fussy and were not amused when I presented it them.

We could use a nice rain now, but I am not complaining. I'm watering from the well, via the pond and would rather have it on the dry side than the wet. The clay is holding onto the moisture as best it can.




Baskets today contained lettuces, chard, onions and topsets, sorrel, garlic scapes, basils, mint, summer savoury, sweet marjoram, arugula and possibly some purslane and lambsquarters.




I have gone crazy with lambsquarters this spring and have created a patch, that deems it no longer a weed, but an esteemed part of my garden. A super spinach substitute, it is tasty and so good for you. I love it and  have taken to eating it over chard and kale.
Pesto time has arrived! Basil pesto or scape pesto are both terrific. Or how about both together?

This is extra good made with a great olive oil from Della Terra. Their products are just wonderful.
Garlic Scape and Basil Pesto

  • 1/4 cup pine nuts
  • 3/4 cup coarsely chopped garlic scapes and basil (1/2 each)
  • Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • A few generous grinds of black pepper
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese

Directions:

  1. 1
    In a small, dry pan set over low heat, toast the pine nuts, stirring occasionally until just beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes.
  2. Combine the scapes and basil, pine nuts, lemon juice and zest, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Pulse about 20 times, until fairly well combined. Pour in the olive oil slowly through the feed tube while the motor is running. When the oil is incorporated, transfer the pesto to a bowl and stir in the grated cheese. If you plan to freeze the pesto, wait to add the cheese until after you've defrosted it.






No comments: