Tuesday, September 15, 2009

September15 baskets and farm notes


My computer crashing two weeks ago prevented me from adding any notes to either blog for the last little while, but now it is back we'll see how long it lasts.
One note about the baskets last week. If you received the white carrots, they are a very unrefined old heirloom carrot, and are(were)best eaten cooked. They have a very carrot-y flavour and aren't overly sweet.
This week there is squash in your basket, as well as potatoes, tomatoes, tomatillos,peppers(watch out for hot),eggplants,beets, cooking greens, some have broccoli, ground cherries, herbs.
There are 3 weeks left to go in the season, with the final delivery being on October 6. Please remember to return your baskets, although the last few weeks veggies will come to you in bags.
Since July now I have been working alone here in the garden, my help unaffordable for me because of the crop losses I have had.
I thank people for their support and know that most of you accept that this has been a difficult year to get the veggies out to you. I have definitely done the best I can and have not at any point given up. I try to look at the baskets each week and give you the best value I can for the money, considering what is in the garden at the time.
Losses this year have been overwhelming. Multiple planting of beets, onions and carrots were washed out. Chard, salad died in the rain, as did kale and leaf broccolis. Thousands of lbs of tomatoes succumbed to the weather and blight. Ditto for the eggplants and peppers. We did the work, bought the seed and supplies, I paid for labour...and it rained.
Inherent in joining a CSA is the fact that you share risk with the farmer, and sadly this year despite my best efforts, I have been unable to control the weather yet again. I thought for sure when I won THAT award this ability would be forthcoming, but alas , no.
Squash have done well!
Try this recipe for a lovely soup-best with butternut!
Feel free to sub the chicken broth with veggie broth
INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 1 stalk celery, chopped
* 1 medium carrot, chopped
* 2 medium potatoes, cubed
* 1 medium butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and cubed
* 1 (32 fluid ounce) container chicken stock
* salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste




DIRECTIONS

1. Melt the butter in a large pot, and cook the onion, celery, carrot, potatoes, and squash 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Pour in enough of the chicken stock to cover vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer 40 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender.
2. Transfer the soup to a blender, and blend until smooth. Return to pot, and mix in any remaining stock to attain desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.

2 comments:

Wendy Kelleen said...

Linda
Just wanted you to know, that in spite of the weather this summer, all 27 of the tomato plants I purchased from you this spring,bore fruit- not always the best but they survived the rains and outgrew their beds. Our favorite were the Oxhearts-Yellow and Orange this year, and I loved all the tiny Sara's Wild Galapagos!! Our first big garden was, all in all, a success. Now it's time to pickle the beets...Thanks Linda!

Linda said...

Hi Wendy,
I really am glad your tomatoes pulled through, lots of people had complete losses. The weather is so crazy, but we can always dream of next year now. Take care,
Linda